Project Management is becoming more and more needed in businesses that want to grow and achieve impactful results. Having a structured approach to develop a plan makes any operation realistic and increases chances of success.
Project Management Institute (PMI) is globally recognised with standards that breaks down everything one needs to consider while mapping out a project. Currently at the fifth edition of the PMBOK Guide (Project Management Book of Knowledge), PMI divides any project into 10 knowledge areas with a total of 47 processes. Sounds a lot? It is simpler than you think.
Check out the articles below to learn more about best practices and solutions to obstacles you might have come across.
- Strategy, The Beginning of Success - Project Portfolio Strategy, a key module in my MSc that has given me lots of depth and knowledge on tools to use to help organisations succeed in building their strategies. After completing my degree, my professor invited me to speak to the MSc students of Applied Project Management, and bring them some real case scenarios from my work. Here is what happened.
- 3 Things I learnt at the PMI UK Synergy 2019 - PMI celebrate their 50th anniversary with a Synergy in the UK that was inspirational, educational and energising. I share my learnings and opinions on the topcis that were discussed throughout the day.
- Influence Based Leadership - Perfecting the art of leadership is something not easily attainable. In fact the mere start of my previous sentence 'perfection' makes it impossible to achieve. But there is certainly some phenomenal leaders in the workplace that make a visible positive impact on teams, while others just cause damage or foster indifference. Here are three key attributes project leaders should have and nurture...
- Quality Management: Past, Present & Future. A Case from the Manufacturing Sector - The origins of QMS and how it is developing until its current state and how it is progressing into the future. A Great event presented by Thiago Barcelos a chartered quality professional part of the London committee.
- How to win in the AI world - PMI UK hosted an event on the benefit of Artificial Intelligence and how Project Managers can benefit from this revolution. This does come with areas of concern that each PM should be aware of to ensure success
- Back to Square 2 – Change Management - Change Management is not easy but can be achieved if the Project Manager creates a system to implement it. Team's buy in is a key starting point.
- Lean Implementation in Design Engineering - There is a historic trend where people mistake a tool for a framework. Knowing how to use a tool does not mean you have a robust framework that drives positive results across your entire project. Lean methodology is one of these mythes.
- Why I Volunteer - Things I learn from helping others.. #RashadVolunteers
- Meetings with Value - Do you spend a lot of your day in meetings? Have you left a meeting thinking 'what was that about'? Here are 3 basic factors to help you drive valuable meetings
- Influence or Authority? - When it comes to getting your teams to deliver in a certain way, do you use your authority or do you use influential techniques? Think carefully before you answer this question. This is not a game on words, this could potentially be a dilemma for managers who are very keen on achieving a result promptly.
- Britain, Four Brexit Scenarios - Risk Management applied for Brexit in a framework presented by Jonathan Blanchard Smith from SAMI Consulting
- The Design Science Research - 2019 is the year that will (hopefully) witness my graduation and attaining my MSc in Applied Project Management. The journey has been truly educational, demanding, frustrating and rewarding all at the same time. Now this is the final part of my degree when I have to work on my dissertation. Over the past summer, I have given it a proper thought on what I would like to work on and I am happy I am settled on my topic with my supervisor's approval.
- My New Year’s Professional Resolutions - Have you taken time off to reflect and plan? Here are my 2019 professional resolutions..
- Series 3: Team Culture and Communication - Understanding the different team structures is important to have a strategy to motivate your team. But motivation cannot be successful if you do not explore and enhance the team's culture...
- International Quality Awards 2018 - The second international Quality Awards hosted by the CQI took place on Nov 21st, 2018...
- CQI London’s workshop for World Quality Day - Did you know that world celebrates Quality every year? Are you a Quality Professional seeking to raise the awareness for the Quality Profession? Do you have a team of Quality professionals who would welcome the attention for just one day? Then this is your chance! If you have not heard already, but the world celebrates … Continue reading CQI London’s workshop for World Quality Day
- Can Ideas Be Simple? - When a group of elderly people want to make sure they are all ok without intruding on each other's privacy and independence, this is what they did!
- GDPR – 2 Months in - 2 Months into the GDPR being live, how did the Chartered Quality Institute comply with this regulation. Being part of The CQI London branch volunteers, I arrange a speaker to come and share his knowledge on what could be done.
- Series 2: The Cycle of Motivation - Needs, Behaviours and Goals are 3 components building the cycle of motivation. An ongoing process.
- Series 1: 3 Team Structures Each Manager Must Know! - It is 8am GMT. You are the Manager of a cross-functional team in a global organisation. At this time, two team members based in India are just coming back from their lunch break. The other three team members are still sleeping in the United States. This blog discusses 3 different team structures with a case study!
- Supply Chain Value through Certification Bodies - When we talk about procurement and managing your suppliers relationship, we always think of time, money, value, and efficiency in the processes we have in place. I believe it is fair to say that you have probably started thinking about the best supplier you have and potentially the one you dread the most. But have … Continue reading Supply Chain Value through Certification Bodies
- The Different Types of Contracts in a Project - Understanding the different types of contracts available is important for project managers to analyse any financial risks and implications throughout the project life.
- Customer-Driven Marketing Strategy: a 3 min Case Study - 3 min case study on customer-driven marketing strategy and the potential segmentation used by GoPro company.
- Mentoring in Few Steps - Whether a Mentor or a Mentee, these few tips will help you get the most out of your experience
- Project Portfolio Management in Small Medium Enterprises – A Brief Study - This paper aims to review the theory behind project portfolio management in the areas of practices, challenges and solutions.